Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Allergy List

We all received this info in an email, but I thought I would also post it here for reference.  That way it's easy to return to if we have questions.

Also, we have all been working around Karen's allergies quite deliciously so far, but since most of us aren't used to doing so I thought I might ask Karen to provide a few favorite recipe ideas at some point?  I am determined to bake something eventually.  Are there any gluten-free, nut-free, vegan cookie/muffin recipes out there?

Karen says:
As you know I am very allergic - EpiPen level, kryptonite- could result in death- type allergic. I also have celiac disease. Let me underline that it's fully possible to work around this and that it very rarely goes wrong, but it requires I pester you guys with the following alarming information:
There are three layers to this –
1. The stuff I can't be in the room with - this goes for peanuts and loose nuts (and large amounts of very stinky cheeses.) It's to do with the dust and smells that spread in the air and can give me an asthma attack. Also, the dust from loose nuts on people's hands gets everywhere and means I'm likely to have a non-mortal but very unpleasant allergic reaction from touching surfaces like doorknobs etc that the nut eaters have touched or from giving one a hug at the end of the night. 
 2. The second layer is that I can’t be in a room/small apartment where some allergens have been recently heated or cooked. This goes for eggs, nuts and dairy (i.e. scrambled eggs, steamed or boiling milk, the baking of delicious egg-milk-nut-cake.) If there is ventilation, doors to keep closed to the cooking area and/or a few hours between me and the cooking, it's fine. 
3. The third layer is what I personally can't eat, list follows:
Allergies: 
All milk products (milk protein, so that includes lactose free products)
Eggs
All nuts, including almonds, pine nuts, and particularly peanuts
Soy
Sesame seeds
Gluten (all kinds of flour and grain except corn, potato, rice, quinoa, and special gluten free oats.)
Turkey 
Flavor enhancers (msg)
Strawberries
Honey
Raw core fruits such as cherries, nectarines, peaches, apples and pears.
(other fruit like banana, oranges and grapes are fine)
Typical dangerous ingredient listings include "spices", "Natural flavor", "seasonings", casein, malt vinegar etc. I also avoid "may contain traces of:" nuts, peanuts, eggs and dairy.
Spice mixes, sauces and mustards etc without a detailed ingredient list can contain allergens.
As tiny and invisible amounts are enough to trigger allergic reactions:  hands,  knives, pan and cutting boards have to be thoroughly washed if they've touched any allergens.
For frying etc coconut, olive, rape seed, corn or sunflower oil are fine.
All pure spices and herbs are fine, all vegetables are fine, also fish and meat (except turkey), potatoes, coconut and rice are fine. :-)
This means I can eat salads with only vegetables in them and many other delicious things. It does mean however, that it can be challenging to cook for me. Which is why you always see me with lunch boxes and I usually eat what I bring myself. I will absolutely not hold it against anyone if they don't feel up to cooking for me. Don't worry about it.
It means as long as you don't cook the eggs/cakes/etc in the venue right before the meeting, you guys can eat anything except loose nuts and very stinky cheeses as long as you wash your hands at some point during the night (not usually a problem) and hug me a little carefully.
Thanks for reading this and please don’t hesitate for a second to call or email with any questions! 
Karen 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Madeline! :) You did very well last week :) I'll return with recipes... there is a banana bread I make, and I can supply allergy baking stocks to those interested - it'll never get used up before i move anyway.

    By the way, do you know if there's a way to subscribe for email updates everytime someone posts on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay banana bread!

      So, it seems you can only add a "subscribe by email" button if the blog is public. Annoying!

      Delete
  2. Amendment to the allergy list; also allergic to buckwheat.

    ReplyDelete