Saturday, February 23, 2013

Karen's new version of Please Read... Feb 2013

Dear workshop!

I've been making a lot of changes up to the moment of sending this to you guys, so some of these passages in the first two parts are more or less placeholders and will surely make me cringe when I read them again, so I don't really need line notes. If you want to give me notes on what passages are weakest though that would be great, if convenient. 
The main question is on the level the whole book - what makes a better overarching and satisfying story? I'm probably submitting a version for thesis March 1st that more resembles what you last read,  but thought I would run this one by you, it's based on suggestions from my thesis advisor. There are still things i just haven't had time to do yet but hopefully I've made some approximation to addressing the main issues.  

Questions to consider after you've read it:

Does Hand in Glove seem to have a weaker thematic link or significance than the rest?

Does Now my heart is Full seem out of tone/character with the rest in a negative way?

How does having Laura being more healthy at 35 affect the book? What problems do you have with this "ending"? Does it hold any significance at that point since it's the first part one finishes?

Did it seem like a cop out to have her recover so to such a large degree instead of this being more true to the more common story of chronic illness, which is usually well, chronic? However, this could realistically happen for someone with her medical history. 
One thing I'm considering is having her have some health issue in the first page and having her be cleared of it right before she meets the man with the dog. Would this achieve some congruity and resonance with the rest of the book ?

Does this separate the first half from the rest of the book too much/ reader lose interest for the parts of the book that come before she has ever met Simon?

How did you like Krister as Marius? (figure skating boy is now also cafe boy)

Of course I would also love to hear any other comments you might have as I have made a number of small adjustments throughout.
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment