Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Scott's short collection

Here are the notes for a small collection of short stories I've been working on. Please read these before the manuscript:

Disintegration
-I've submitted this to some journals and received rejections from about half so far. No one else has read it, so I'm interested in hearing any feedback for its improvement.
Eulogy for a Father, Not Mine
-This is new. No special notes for this.
Let’s Keep Dancing
-This is intentionally derivative of Thomas Mann's story Disillusionment and Peggy Lee's song "Is That All There Is?" It would help me a lot if you would read the story (http://www.srs-pr.com/literature/mann-disillusionment.pdf) and listen to the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VscVP_Gt_s) either before or after reading this piece. I'm most interested in "influence" and how much I can get away with in regards to allusion, derivation, and homage. Am I borrowing too much? Aside from that, I'd like it to be treated as any story might workshop-wise.
Joan in Agony in Grace
-I think this might require a warning. This is meant to be a horror story so it's extremely violent and intended to make the reader somewhat uncomfortable. If you're sensitive to violence (or this subject matter) and would like to abstain from reading it, I completely understand. Otherwise, I'm interested in the reader's experience and whether it should be toned down. If so, how? Aside from that, I'd like it to be treated as any story might workshop-wise.
A Ghost Story in Three Acts
-No special notes for this.
Before We Begin
-I workshopped this in Deborah Eisenberg's class in autumn 2011 and have made a few changes since (not enough, in my opinion). I've been feeling like revisiting it, so I'd love to hear your comments.

Line edits would be helpful, but don't feel obligated if that's not your thing.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment